John M. will be our lodestar this week. I am out-of-town and John, a long-time San Diego-based journalist and activist, is much more qualified than me to guide CivCon through a discussion of who runs this town.
Here are some readings on San Diego’s power structure and some of its biggest policy issues that John and I culled from local media, such as Voice of San Diego and The City Beat and Reader.
I will see you on May 29, after your meetings on San Diego and slavery reparations. Our topic will be the government’s proper role in encouraging healthy lifestyles. I will still post the regular “Monday’s meeting” posts.
SUGGESTED BACKGROUND READING –
Power Centers –
- Wiki’s ABCs of how govt is organized in San Diego.
- Some Big Clout groups/people, per the lefty San Diego Free Press:
- Some other Big Clout groups
Issues and evolution –
- “Los Angelization” is coming to San Diego politics. Recommended
- Our city’s radical climate/energy goals. Recommended
- Our odd proposal for a “soccer stadium” may go before voters in November.
- We still have a pension problem.
- Will last November’s Measures K and L benefit the Democrats?
NEXT WEEK: Reparations for African-Americans?