Clearly, we need to have another meeting on the surveillance state.
- Civil Liberties Since 9/11 (11/10/11 mtg):
- What do we know and not know as of this moment about the PRISM program.
- Five things we don’t know .
- The real scandal is what’s legal, meaning all three branches of government did this to us.
- The other side: Everyone in the world is using these news “anomaly detection” algorithms to search the vast seas of modern electronic communications for tidbits vital to national security, so why shouldn’t we? Also, the revelations of the NSA vacuuming up all the phone calls in the United States to check for terrorist-looking patterns is no big deal.
- Relatedly, this is what happens – along with having to pretty much strip at the airport – when the public demands zero terrorism no matter the cost. Also, if the focus ends up only on Obama’s role in this – as the Right seems to be doing – we’ll miss an opportunity to have an honest debate over the scope of the surveillance state post-9/11.
- Future of Capitalism (4/.29/10 mtg): Workers’ share of GDP has fallen to historic lows in the United States, as is common knowledge. But, did you know that the same thing has been happening in almost all other countries? So, it can’t be solely, – or even mainly! – the American Republican Party’s fault! Read the short article for some ideas on why this is happening.
- Do Men/Women Think Differently? (9/1/11 mtg): Is this sort of stuff based on junk neuroscience?
- ‘Should We Legalize Prostitution? (5/3/12 mtg): Well, Germany did it in 2002 and many are now regretting it. See, legalization drove down the price of a prostitute’s services. So, (1) there’s more of it, and (2) the number of trafficked foreign women went up because they are more willing (or, more “willing”) than German women to work for such wages.
- Polarization: North Carolina’s new Republican government has turned hard-right even as the state is trending purple. Does North Carolina herald the future of state-level American politics, a total war of right versus center-left regardless of what the publics think. What about Texas?
- Climate Change – When Will We Act? (4/22/13 mtg): The International Energy Agency says we can make a big start in controlling greenhouse gas emissions by doing four (relatively) simple things.
- GOP’s Future: Gee, I link to this topic every single week, but it is the most important political question of our time. This week: The Republican Party has just as big a problem with (rapidly-growing) Asian-American voters as with Latinos.