I try to time our meeting topics to with political developments and anticipate the evolving political zeitgeist. But jeez. When I put “Public Employee Unions: Problem or Scapegoat” on the schedule several weeks ago, I didn’t know the war on public employee unions was scheduled to start so soon. A lot is being written about Wisconsin in the press and blogosphere, but here are a few links I’ve found that are interesting.
- Why Is This Happening? The best explanation I’ve seen anywhere, except her claim that Wisconsin’s budget situation really is “fine” is not quite true. Here’s the full truth about that.
- [UPDATE — A Must Read: Governor Walker, more broadly, is pursuing the Southern states’ growth model. Keep wages as low as possible and constraints on businesses as low as possible.]
- Why We Need Unions. A rather obvious point, but one that seldom gets made.
- Wisconsin, Union Decline And Rising Inequality.
- A good roundup of the arguments in support of Wisconsin’s unions.