I’ve been holding onto these:
- Why is America so lawsuit-crazy (9/24/9)? A variety of cultural and political reasons, in convenient bullet form.
- SETI and Religion (10/1/9): Would finding intelligent life destabilize world religions?
- “Is California a welfare state for public employees?” (9/18/8): Public sector workers are the Right’s newest welfare queens.
- “Do psychological therapies work? ” (5/6/10) Are DSM definitions of mental illness getting ridiculous?
Also, last week we talked a little about the Tea Party movement(s). Dean asked what they were all about, and Richard made a good point about their behind the scenes funding and organization. Here are some related, just-published articles:
- The role played by the Koch brothers (Richard’s point):
- As I mentioned, corporate groups are going to pour vast amounts into politics thanks to the Citizens United decision allowing unlimited corporate money. But I never dreamed how much. already, about $400 million has been pledged or spent by the corporate sector to support Republican candidates this election cycle alone! Not only is this just a jaw-dropping number, but the amounts are being funneled to various front groups to hide its origins. More details here.
- Rolling Stone on The Summer of Madness.