Several people said last night’s mtg was really a good discussion. I agree. Here’s some follow up links on some of the points raised, plus a few articles on the McChrystal/Afghan situation.
- As Chris mentioned, here’s a new study that says liberals and conservatives have differently wired brains.
- Why do people vote Republican? They are not “duped;” they just prefer a different moral order. This is just fascinating.
- Conservative Republicans report that they are very different from other political types. Also great.
- The proposed Texas Republican Party platform (albeit an outlier, to be sure) puts the “A” in authoritarianism: See here and here.
- An assertion that the core conservative belief is that government should not take money from the “virtuous” and give it to the “unvirtuous.”
- Also, as I opined, appealing to authoritarianism is a trap for the GOP. How can they stop doing this and not lose their already shrunken base of supporters who always turn out for them? Re: Demographics turning on the GOP: Analysis from world’s best election analyst, and from my currently favorite, incredibly shrewd political blogger.
- They’ll be a quiz.
MCCHRYSTAL, PETRAEUS, AND AFGHANISTAN
- Policy is at heart of dispute:
- Can Petraeus lower expectations and pave way for orderly exit?
- Updates and opinions from “The Afpak Channel” at Foreign Policy Magazine on-line. I don’t read this much, but try this one.