I thought I’d try a new feature. Every week I come across a half-dozen or so blog posts, news stories, etc., that I really like, and are the kind of stuff that is hard to just stumble across unless you know where to look. Once a week–probably Fridays–I’ll do a post that links to them. They’ll usually be related to major things in the news, or topics we’ve recebtly discussed, etc.
This week’s I’ll post now/Wednesday, since Gary and Fred told me they wanted to discuss the Al Qaeda attack and Iran at tomorrow’s meeting.
- How bad is it?
- Maybe America’s best journalists, IMHO, on whether the U.S. in in decline (hint: no, but our political system is)
Update: This is one of the best articles on America’s future I’ve read in years.
POLICY (inc. Al Qaeda attack and Iran)
- Al Qaeda airline attack: Two articles (here and here) on keeping it in perspective. One on the difficulty of attacking Yemen. One on not letting ourselves be paralyzed with fear .
- Iran: One clarion call for a U.S. attack. Two rebuttals, explaining difficulty of bombing Iran. Another on how limited our options are.
- Economics I: I don’t agree with all of this, but here’s the best, succinct argument for revising our free-trade oriented stance that I’ve ever seen.
- Economics II: A call to revive our manufacturing base as the engine of growth and prosperity it used to be.
SCIENCE, HISTORY, OTHER
- Summary of last year’s scientific findings on climate change.
Finally, the joke of the week: “Even if the bomb works, there’s going to be 72 very disappointed virgins.” –Jon Stewart on the Underwear Bomber